Sunday, July 10, 2016

Life's a beach!

Today we slept in. The boys showed us their mad scooter skills leading Marcus to declare he was "a pretty talented scooter boy." When we finally got it together after eating lunch (leftover heaven on earth!) we drove down to the beach. As we pulled up, the park guy said there were two more spots left to park. Whew. That was a close one! 

The parking situation was predictive of the beach situation. There was very little real estate to set up shop. In fact, Jason heard a man say, "what is this? The Fourth of July? Everybody is here today!" So we just threw all our crap, including snorkeling gear for each of us, in a pile and charged the water, life vests securely fastened. 

I don't care how well they (and Jason) think they can swim, the Great Lakes have large waves and rip currents and I have enough senseless worrying to do that I don't need to add drowning to my repertoire. I also wore a life vest and had a blast bobbing in the waves. However, after I sat on the shore and watched the boys play for about twenty minutes, I decided I might look a little bit intense with my life vest still tightly latched, and finally took it off. Turns out it was also acting as an insulator. 

We spent the better part of four hours splashing and bobbing in Lake Michigan before we decided to head home and rest. But first, we stopped at the park gift store. Everybody is still collecting souvenirs from each location. I'm doing pins and Christmas ornaments, Jason is buying clothing, and Samus collects magnets. Marcus is reluctantly continuing to collect postcards... "Can I get these instead?" Pointing to shot glasses. Um, no. "How about bigger cups?" (coffee mugs). Nope. And so it went until he threw a mini fit and put a postcard on the counter. Lucas has been collecting commemorative coins, but has only been able to find one so far. He will now collect a keychain if the stop does not offer a commemorative coin. Thankfully, we got all this sorted out. I'm not sure how the trip could have possibly continued. 

Back home, J made hamburgers and corn on the cob. I had a small allergic reaction to something I ate and added corn to my list of things to check during my second round of tests. My gums have been raw and swollen for days telling me that I'm consistently eating something that is bothersome. Bleck. Who knows what it is. 

What I do know is I hate mosquitos. The mosquitos here are tolerable, but I don't want to spray myself right after I shower. I tried covering myself head to toe with clothing, but the little turds bit me through the cloth. I threw in the towel and headed back to the sweet bliss of air conditioning.

Right now the youngest two are trying to weasel their way into bed with me and I'm pretty much letting it happen. It is vacation after all. 

Until tomorrow, goodnight from the Munsch bunch. 


The only picture I took today was of Samus looking like a chimney sweep while playing with cars in the sand. Also, I'd like you to notice that sweet swim shirt we got it last night that we didn't know we needed until it was 60% off. As a rule, the Munschs don't wear white. This. This is why. 



No comments:

Post a Comment