Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Yellowstone Day 2. I'm so sore I feel like I climbed a mountain on accident.

Again, sorry about the delay in posting time. Mountains and stuff.

We started day 2 about 8:30 a.m. after some delicious muffins. From camp we headed north toward Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces. We stopped at some springs along the way. Then we ran into some intense road construction. It was sort of like driving down a tore up gravel road. Good times. But thank goodness we weren't pulling the trailer, which we had planned on doing the next day, and quickly decided on an alternate route out of Yellowstone. Other than those 7 miles, it was smooth sailing.

In Mammoth we ate lunch out of the back of the truck and walked the board walk around the Terraces. I remember them being so much more... everything. More colorful, more water, and way more active. I was disappointed, but everybody else was impressed. We saw a small herd of elk sunning in the lawn near the ranger station. It looked like that was probably one of their favorite haunts as there was a ranger stationed right there and large signs were posted not to approach the animals.

Speaking of approaching the animals, there are some real dumb-dumbs in the world. Buffalo are not like dogs. They do not want you close to them. I thought this was a universal knowledge. Nope. It appears that outside of the few border states (where we have seen a buffalo before), this is a completely foreign concept. Natural selection is how I ultimately feel about the matter.

After Mammoth, we continued east toward Tower Junction. Just south of Tower Junction is the Tower Falls. When I was a teenager, I remember visiting this particular site and hiking down to the bottom of the falls, where other people frolicked about in the pools at the foot of the falls. I would like to note, that Dar (my dad) did not allow any frolicking to be done by me or my brother. This was devastating and I fully intended on righting this wrong by frolicking with my boys.

Before we ventured down the trail though, we got some hard-scooped ice cream in waffle cones. Mmmm. My favorite!

We walked about a hundred yards and were at the upper viewing point. Whatever. This was not the main attraction. Then I turned around to head down to the bottom and was met with a Trail Closed sign. Ahhh!!! I would not frolic in the pools. It's a good thing I had ice cream, or things could have gone south quick.

Back in the car we headed toward Canyon Village. At one point we came to an abrupt stop in a long line of cars. As we crept along wondering what was going on, a man in an oncoming car was yelling “There are buffalo in the road!!!” as they whizzed by. When we finally made it to the beginning of the line, there they were. Three big old buffalo leisurely walking down our lane of traffic. I have decided that the number of craps buffalo give is ZERO.

Just outside of Canyon Village was another one of my favorite places, Upper and Lower falls. It strikes me odd that these were their names, considering that even the tiniest of mud pots had more thoughtful names. No bother. I was excited to hike the stairs of Uncle Tom's Trail! Finally something that was just as I had remembered it! We sailed down many switchbacks and the 300+ stairs to the viewing platform. It did not disappoint. Pure awesome! We snapped some pictures and headed up.

Lucas and Marcus were flying up the flights of stairs. Sam and I tried to keep up, while Jason lagged behind and tried not to die. At one point an Asian man turned around above us and pretty clearly snapped a picture of Jason. Jason was breathing heavy, covered in sweat, and had the wildest curly hair you can possibly imagine. We're fairly certain Jason is now on the internet with a caption chastising American obesity.

To round out the day we saw Mud Volcano and stopped to grill hot dogs at a roadside picnic area in bear country. I could barely eat because I was hyper-vigilant and ready to spray a hot-dog crazed bear with my canister of bear spray. Obviously there was no hot-dog crazed bear. But I enjoy torturing myself with the worst case scenario.

Back at camp it started to rain. So we hunkered down for some more Narnia. We had walked another 10 miles including 116 floors (according to my fitbit). For the second night in a row, we slept like dead horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment