Sunday, June 21, 2015

Hiking Zion, day 1.

We got up early and beat the heat. Our goal was to hike the Emerald Pool trails, the Weeping Wall, and a couple of other short trails before we spontaneously combusted. 

Zion doesn't let you drive up and down the road because of congestion. Instead you take a bus to any of 8 stops at key trailheads. 

We were some of the first to ride and when we boarded it smelled exactly like urine. Mmmm. My favorite smell first thing in the morning. 

Unfortunately we left in such a haste that I forgot to drink my coffee. This was problematic. I was no doubt going to be a hot mess within hours without my caffeine. I fretted as the bus headed up the road. Until the driver announced our stop and added that there was coffee. Hallelujah! Now we could hike!

We started up the first of the Emerald Pool trails. 


There was a lovely little waterfall trickling down onto the trail from the lower pool above. 


We hiked past the lower and middle pools all the way to the upper pool. 


I promise the pool is behind them. 

We hiked on and connected to another trail before catching the bus again to head up to the Weeping Wall. This bus did not smell like urine. 


The Weeping Wall was just like it sounds. The wall weeped water. The cool drops felt amazing as the temperature was now close to 100. 

The rest of the day we spent in town doing laundry (I am so efficient at a laundromat it's scary), getting the oil changed, and going to Inside Out. I think we all cried during the movie. 

Back at camp I slept away the evening while Jason and the boys did god knows what. 

Then I got up and went to bed, for in the morning we were getting up to hike the famous Narrows. 





No comments:

Post a Comment