Thursday, June 13, 2019

Writing Rhode Island

I know it’s kind of overkill with three different posts from each stop but I have have decided to embrace it because each type of media offers something special. Jason does a nice job of posting relevant pictures because I still don’t truly understand how to do that and sometimes it’s just easier not to have to worry about learning it. Then I enjoy writing stories and like to use them in a scrapbook of each trip. While technically I’ve only published one of the books because they take an immense amount of effort, I fully intend to follow through with the other four hence the written accounts. And now we’ve started these ridiculous vlog videos. My favorite part about those is using different voices and talking with my hands. So there’s the reasoning behind our multi-faceted media approach.

Now to Rhode Island.

I gotta say, I am so thankful that we got a hold of my childhood friend Colleen. Seeing her, catching up, and hanging out with her was hands down my favorite part of Rhode Island. Don’t get me wrong it’s a beautiful little state and is quintessentially New England, but it’s not every day someone has cookie ice cream cakes made in your honor. I would like to note that the cookie cakes replaced Marcus’ sincere answer to Colleen’s question of, “what do your boys like to eat?”. Marcus: “I like steak... also roast. And in case you’re wondering, my favorite pie is pumpkin.” It was 80 degrees and most notably not Thanksgiving.

Meeting up with Colleen also gave a wonderful insiders feel to our stay. The boys all got to experience stuffies, and Jason enjoyed wiener sauce, which includes hamburger. Unless you’re from Rhode Island in which case it’s just hamburg. The “er” is inexplicably dropped. I’m not sure if it’s dropped for all hamburger products or just the hamburg in wiener sauce. Jason is also unclear about the preparation of the hamburg and is of the notion that it is uncooked. Regardless, he likes the wiener sauce.

Also entertaining was Colleen explaining that she asks people to spell words when she can’t understand their accent. “It’s like a spelling bee over here.” And I can see why. I have to concentrate very hard on what people are saying to catch everything. I’m not 100% sure how this effects the teaching of spelling, phonics, and reading. I would struggle for sure.

The best piece of insider knowledge came when Bob and their neighbor Marc warned Jason that the waters near Boston have Great Whites. “All I’m sayin’ is if you see a seal, don’t get in the water.” Wise words. Especially since I feel like we would have done the opposite because, what the heck do we know about seals and sharks?

Until Massachusetts-Becky.

Me with my mouth gaping open and Colleen

A rare family picture (usually one of us is behind the camera)

Cookie ice cream cakes!

1 comment:

  1. C0me on Becky, you are 3 days behind now. Waiting to hear from you some more.LOL

    ReplyDelete