Saturday, June 1, 2019

Starved Rock State Park Illinois

Much like everything around home, Starved Rock State Park is flooded. Jason remarked, "it sure is swampy around here." Uh, no their rivers are multiple feet above flood stage, houses have water up to their second floors, and half the park we're staying at is now a part of the river. Swampy, no. Sad, yes.

As expected, the drive here was long. I sat in every possible position I could think of while still being seatbelted in. This morning I even took a nap by tucking my legs into my sweatshirt and curling into a snug little ball like a hedgehog. I stretched and wiggled then crossed my legs for the thousandth time. The boys were far less twitchy than in the past and quite frankly, me. Also, weirdly it's no longer the boys that have to stop and use the bathroom all the time. Now it's Jason and me. This allowed us to make amazing time, especially pulling a camper. When we left the driveway at 6 a.m. the initial arrival time was 2 p.m. We pulled in at 3 p.m. Not bad at all!

Once we got here, Jason forced the air conditioner to spin (how did we not check that before we left and what are the odds that both the air conditioners in the house and the camper are wonky?). Then, proper naps were taken, supper was eaten, and we decided to visit a couple of canyon waterfalls in the park. The hikes were short and sweet, albeit muddy, and the small waterfalls were absolutely beautiful!

We are tired and we have an even longer drive day ahead of us tomorrow so I'm ready to turn in early. Tonight, we will all sleep like dead horses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment