Sunday, June 10, 2018

Friday-Sunday on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake.

Friday was a drive day, although not a horrid long drive day, so that was, well, not horrid. The scenery between RMNP and SLC was pretty ‘meh’ and it had its fair share of mountainous roads that made the family trickster whine in agony. Thankfully, the drive was only six hours.

Once we got to Antelope Island and figured out where to get water, we thought it best we swim in the Great Salt Lake immediately. Having done float therapy before, I knew that there was no way that the  camper’s shower would handle the amount of rinsing that would need to be done after this little soriee, so I suggested we drive down to the public access beach and it’s free showers.

While the trek to the water looked a little long, it was a mirage and in the middle of the hike I wished I had brought along a picnic lunch for the endless walk across the hard salt flat. When we arrived at the water’s, err, edge(?) we were greeted by at least one billion of our new best friends: the infamous brine flies. Fortunately, unlike many of our fellow tourists, we had read and heard about the brine flies and were prepared to high tail it through their three foot border along the shore, where we were told there “wouldn’t be any more flies.”

Except that there were more flies. In fact, there was a seemingly endless supply floating atop the glass top of the waveless lake. Eh. Whatever. We came to swim and we were going to swim darn it! I just splashed a circle around myself as I waded into a area where I could no longer touch and became a human bouy. The gang followed.

It really was quite spectacular not having to do anything to float! We all laid our heads back and had our own free spa afternoon. Normally, I would have paid $50 for one hour, so I was quite pleased with the results. Of course, $50 also comes without flies and brine shrimp, but the boys didn’t need to know that.

Saturday brought a short drive along one side of the island, a gift shop trip, and more swimming. Only this time there were high winds and no flies! However, nothing comes for free. No flies was a direct trade off for free wave sinus rinses and lips that felt like you’d eaten sunflower seeds for a week straight.

Back at the camper, we battened down the hatches and quite literally rode out the wind advisory that went well into the wee hours of Sunday morning. It was tough to sleep sound and I had one of the dreaded “you-signed-up-for-all-these-college-classes-and-then-Never-attended-so-now-you-can’t-graduate,” dreams. I hate those dreams.

Today (Sunday) was lazy and cool! It topped out around 65 degrees. The boys and I played Carcassone and Jason went on a solo hike. Then we stormed a laundry mat and washed all our clothes from the last week in less than an hour. Less than an hour!! If only I had six washers and six dryers at home!

By the time the laundry was done there was some very serious cases of hanger and weeping from hunger (fine, I’m the hungry weeper). Spotting a Super Target we managed to spend a stupid amount of money on food and I had to rearrange the pantry and storage area to fit everything in. Although I’m sure you are all aware of this Life Pro Tip, don’t go shopping on an empty, yowling stomach. I ate an entire container of cherry tomatoes on the ride back to the camper. Again, something I would advise against.

Tomorrow we head out for Great Basin National Park. The drive should be not horrid, so that will be good. As for tonight, we will sleep like dead horses.




No comments:

Post a Comment