Wednesday, May 31, 2017

DAY THREE “What do you mean we can’t swim at this beach?” - Sand Thrower

Finally, everyone slept in, and we lazily made our way to the beach. We set up, and Jason realized we left the sunscreen in the truck. Meanwhile, the boys swam and splashed and made a friend who liked to throw sand. In fact, sand throwing is not frowned upon here. Everyone was doing it. Moms, dads, children, grandmas. Fine, I didn’t actually see any grandmas throwing sand, but I assume they do based on the strong sand throwing tendencies of their youth. Almost as if on cue, my boys were also throwing sand. I could not take it and had to stick to my non-sand-throwing upbringing and scold my three even though the rest of the beach continued to assault each other. I got some strange looks, but come on, NOBODY like getting hit with sand. 

When Jason returned with the sunscreen, he leaned down and said, “It’s not recommended that we swim at this beach. The salmonella count is reaching a dangerous level.” Uh, what? I looked out to the boys frolicking in the water, mouths gaping out as they splashed and jumped. All I could imagine was poopy water flying into their smiling yell holes. I urged Jason to get them out of the water as I looked for a less gross beach in the area. He responded, “The damaged is probably already done. I’ll tell them we’re leaving in 15 minutes. Plus they found a friend.” “Yeah, but he’s a sand thrower,” I replied.

When Jason came back from delivering the crappy news to the boys, he said, “I told them that we can’t be swimming at this beach because of high bacteria levels. Then the sand thrower said, ‘What do you mean we can’t swim at this beach?’ I told him it was dangerous because of the level of bacteria. He and the lady behind me looked concerned.” However, no one else left the water. We proceeded to find a beach with almost no salmonella but plenty of screaming.

I am a loud person. If you do not know me, then understand, I am a yell-talker. I think it’s a mild case of voice emodulation which I passed on to all three boys. Anyway, even I was astonished at the amount of yelling happening at this beach. Babies of all ages were screaming and crying, older kids were bellowing at their parents, parents and grandmothers were screeching back. It was truly unbelievable, and I was a stay at home mom with three boys under four. We went to all kinds of ridiculous shouty places, but this was something special. I wish I could accurately relay all the super loud conversations being had, but writing won’t do them justice. It’s more of an in-person type of story.

However, there was one incident that was particularly fascinating. A woman, her mother, and her four children arrived and sat directly in front of me. The woman kept shouting at her mom that the children wouldn’t come to her because they preferred the grandmother over herself (probably because she scared them with her loud, angry voice). At one point, a little boy about 14 months old had toddled back up to the grandmother, and the mother pitched a fit. Samus, oblivious to all things around him, happened to be standing there staring into the distance. The grandmother started shouting, “Young man! Young man!” Although they were only a few feet apart, Samus had no idea she was talking to him. After the grandmother's voice took on a pitchy, frantic tone, Samus finally looked, and she said, “Young man, will you pick up this here baby and take him down to his mama?” Samus looked at her like she was completely insane. “He doesn’ bite. Jus pick him up under the arms like a cat and take him down to his mama.” Although he appeared completely freaked out, he did as he was asked and took the toddler down to his mother. Then he promptly ran away. It was a fantastic show to watch.

After swimming, we returned to the camper and Jason whipped up some delicious breakfast burritos. Wanting to get an early start, I broke down the camp as Jason messed with something to do with the camper breaks. As I finished up, I asked about the breaks. Apparently, the camper no longer had them. Ugh. It was bound to happen sometime, after traveling over 10,000 miles around the country, but it was still inconvenient. Not to mention horribly dangerous.


We went to bed with the intention to get up early to find someone to fix the breaks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment