Monday, August 24, 2015

Race to the end

After Colorado the original plan was to drive about 4 hours to Guernsey State Park in WY and stay overnight, then drive 5 hours to the badlands and stay overnight, and finally drive the last 5 hours home.  Well when we got to Guernsey everyone was done.  We went swimming of course but it was clear everyone was out of steam with nothing really to look forward to.  So from our stop over  in WY we just booked it home with one last long drive to the end.  Really a learning experience that it's probably how it should have been planned.  So the 33 day trip became a 32 day trip.  The extra day was needed before heading back to work, leaving the yard for the month of June without a maintenance plan proved to be a mistake it was an overgrown mess.

Pictures from our last stop:





How I spent my last evening on the road

Since I brought up that I was reading The Stand here's my vacation reading list for the trip:
Into Thin Air : About climbing and death on Mt. Everest.  Non-fiction so worked well that I could start it before vacation.  For some reason (that I'm starting to question) I only allow myself to read fiction while on vacation. This was the 2nd best book I read on the trip.
The Road : Was worried that it would be a too much of a downer for this vacation but it fit into my Apocalypse/Survivalist vacation reading and I've been wanting to read it so I gave it a chance.  Really good book, the best one I read from this group. 
Prey : Written by Michael Crichton, I wanted to read Jurassic Park but couldn't find it at Last Stop so I grabbed this one since some reviews compared it to Jurassic Park.  Well it was a mistake, not a very good book, worst one of the lot. 
The Stand : Unabridged later released version, extremely long.  Very good, close run for number two but reading it ran a couple weeks past the vacation causing me to break the fiction only on vacation rule.  Characters were great and really had me invested, if it wasn't for that damn ending.  How HBO or someone hasn't picked it up and made it a series is beyond me looks ripe for a long running tv show.

The Final Family Truckster update:
Total miles driven: 6431
Gallons of gas burned: 591

This really was a trip of a lifetime.  At the end it was great to be home but it didn't take long to wish we were back on the road living out more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment